Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Blog #4 Tedtalk

BLOG #4 on Hobson TED Talk:  Have you ever felt invisible?  Does Hobson help you think about visibility in any new ways?  Be specific in naming and explaining her arguments, and then relate her words to your own life history.  How might a youth space like YIA — where youth “share their stories, practice leadership and create change in their communities” — be an antidote to invisibility?

Image result for have you ever felt invisible There were times that I guess you could say I felt invisible, especially when it comes to race. I am a Latina and Black, and there were times where I didn't even fit in with my own race. I didn't feel accepted, because I was somewhere in the middle. I wasn't 100% Black or 100% Spanish. I was just awkwardly in the middle. I found myself trying to be more of this race and that race, but I times I wasn't just being me. After watching Ms. Hobson's TED talk video, I have realized that being invisible can involve race and many other things. Her presentation on being "color brave" and not color blind was spectacular. Now, I am not one to sit through a video, unless I am very interested, but this video has helped prepare me for the professional world. I love talking about the importance of race equality and making a difference, because there were definitely instances where people have said offensive things about my own races, whether it was towards Latinos or Blacks. I was intrigued to here Ms. Hobson talk about how someone thought she was to be of service, versus being someone of a higher up. Ms. Hobson asked "When can we also think it is weird to see all white people in a setting compared to black people?" and that made me realize how often these thoughts occur in the minds of people. I want to be a part of the change where in the next generation, you will see more diversity in big companies, law offices, state houses, and so forth. Ms. Hobson reminded me that their is power in my words, and that I could inspire someone to seek greater things in life just like her mother did for her. My family always backed me up in whatever I aspired to do with my life, and that's something that I will forever appreciate. Now, it's definitely time for me to pay it forward to the next generation. A place like Youth In Action provides a space to empower youth for a greater responsibility...change. If there are kids, like Ms. Hobson,who have experienced a lack of acceptance, then the YIA is a place for youth to use their voices so that these issues can be heard. This can be an antidote to invisibility.
Image result for not invisible

No comments:

Post a Comment